Our middle child is prone to high drama. Just the other day, he was feeling overwhelmed by his circumstances… I can’t remember the specifics, but he wanted to do something that no one else wanted to do. And feeling like everyone was out to get him (and in a very “Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA!” sort of way), he declared, “EVERYBODY HATES ME!” And off he went down the hallway, with exaggerated stomps. I kind of rolled my eyes, got a little frustrated, and called after him, “Nobody hates you… They just want to do something different than you.” And my wife put her hand up, and quietly said something that is true: “If it FEELS real to him, it IS real to him.”
I thought about this today when I watched this video made by the remaining terrorists occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. It seems the government has grown tired of their false patriotism and obstinate desire to become martyrs for a make-believe cause, and eight people have been arrested (while away from their “compound,” possibly picking up some turkey jerky at the nearest Piggly Wiggly), while one person died in the process of being arrested. The couple of media trucks that were still near the refuge were told to leave, and the remaining few “Freedom Fighters” seemed to be coming unhinged as they prepared for the self-fulfilled prophecy of their imminent deaths. This video gives us a peek into the mentality of the highly-armed people remaining there… Though much of it is just video of a backhoe digging holes (for what, I don’t know. Possibly fighting positions… Possibly digging for snacks), so below the video I posted the times and quotes when people are actually saying something significant…
- 0.16 “Media’s been ordered to leave… That means they’re coming to kill us, and they don’t want ’em to see that. They’re going to murder all of us. And the medias are cowards.”
- 0.36 “Stay and show the truth! Show the TRUTH!!” (As an aside, this part reminded me SO MUCH of Eric Cartman saying, “It’s wrong… It’s WRONG!!”)
- 1:24 “Media’s been waiting for a blood bath this whole time we’ve been here… Now there’s going to be one, and they’re running. They’re told to run, because the feds don’t want to know who’s murdering us. American people better wake up, get here, and fight for your country! Right now! It is ON!” Followed by someone else (singing something reminiscent of “Bad Boys, Bad Boys… What cha gonna do? What cha gonna do when they come for you?”): “… What cha gonna do? What cha gonna do when the… militia comes after YOU, FBI?”
- 2:56 “All you military who’s been fighting for your country overseas? You can fight for your country right here, in America. Get here–GET SOME! This is history in the making. There are no laws in this United States now. This is a free for all Armageddon. And leo[?] or military or law enforcement or feds that fuck their oath–don’t abide by their oath–are the enemy! If they stop you from getting here, KILL THEM!!”
I look at this husky patriot’s face, and all I can think of is my wife saying, “If it FEELS real to him, it IS real to him.” I am certain that this guy believes the things he is saying–It is so real to him that he is willing to die for it… Just like it was real to my son that everybody hated him… Just like it was real to Jan Brady that everything was about Marsha. I really hope that this whole saga can come to an end without any more bloodshed, but I don’t know if that’s going to happen or not. Regardless of how this ends, here are a few things I’ve been thinking about that I’d like you to consider:
- If there was ever a case for expanding the process of background checks for gun ownership, this video is it. This guy (as well as Mr. “Bad Boys” cameo) is not right in the head.
- Shooting law enforcement officers because you don’t want to pay for grazing fees does not a “Patriot” make… At least that’s what my grandma used to say.
- I have a sneaking suspicion about what happened to all their snacks…
- Nobody wants anyone there to die. The last thing anyone wants is to make this standoff something future wackos look at the same way you wackos look at Ruby Ridge of Waco. Stop trying to die.
- It’s illegal to try to incite violence. Just as it’s illegal to call for people to kill federal agents. Just because you say, “There are no laws in this United States now. This is a free for all Armageddon,” doesn’t make it so. We have laws. That is a good thing.
- Dear Crazy People: The fact that you don’t like the laws we have does not give you the right to take over a federal building. One of the cool things about the United States is that there are ways to change those things you don’t like… Your impatience with the speed at which things change–or your frustration with the ease at which they change–does not give you the right to threaten, harm, or kill people. XOXO, The Boeskool
Like it? Share it. Follow me on Facebook or Twitter. Or be like Brenda Tharp (who I’m reasonably certain has never made a “hang loose” sign in the background of someone else’s anti-federalist manifesto) and throw a couple of bucks my way by becoming a Patron, and help support the blog on my Patreon page. And my family, or whatever… Either way, thanks for reading!